Our Week – October 14

building a zooOur week has been full of reading, writing, research and discovery. We’ve been learning to research and write on the computers. We’ve been working in centers to observe as scientist and to develop logic and a sense of fair play. We’ve been exploring the practice of mindfulness and considering ways to work more effectively together to maximize learning.

Self- Awareness and Self Management

– our S.E.L. focus this week

dsc08796            Thank you for talking to your child about the choices s/he is making with regard to behavior. We’ve been talking about it a lot in class. It seems that when it is on our minds all the time, all of us are able to assess ourselves and monitor how our choices affect others. When we stop talking – many lose their self-awareness and then their self-control. Please keep checking in at home. Ask your child how s/he did with talking during lessons or trying to be funny at the wrong time or doing the right thing at the right time or staying focused.

One of the things that came up though our discussion of how feeling calm helps us learn was the idea that all learning grows. “I Messages” were mentioned as something done in first grade or kindergarten. It was surprised many of the children to hear that they should still be using them. If it works and it’s efficient, it’s a strategy that should still be used.

dsc08795We talked about what it means to be present. We know if each of us adopts this habit, we’ll all be better able to learn. We’ll be more successful. Here is a list of things the class said they would choose to be more present and to help our classroom became a place where everyone feels successful.

• I will have peace in my heart.
  • Cleaning up trash at the beach.
  • I will listen when others talk.
  • I will do my work correctly.
  • I will have more love and peace in my heart.
  • “This is a good book.” “Thanks.”
  • I will fold my hands so I’m not distracted.
  • I will sit down.
  • I will be calm.
  • building a zooI will not laugh when others are talking.
  • I will sit calmly on the rug.
  • I will raise my hand instead of yelling out.
  • If you see someone is hurt, get some help.
  • Listen to others and don’t interrupt them they they’re talking.
  • Listen.
  • Listen all the time.

Arrays and the Commutative Property

dsc08808We have continued our exploration of multiplication this week by learning about arrays. We know that arrays are rectangles made of columns and rows. We’ve learned that you read them down the left side and across the bottom. So

*****

*****

*****

would be read as 3 by 5 or 3 groups of 5 or 3×5.

We used what we are learning to create arrays showing the commutative property. 3 of 5 makes a long, low array, while 5 of 3 makes a taller more narrow array. You can see our work in the hall outside our classroom on Multiplication Main Street.

dsc08807

Bits and Pieces –

• dsc08800We have continued to work on blogging and blog posts. Some of the children have submitted second posts while others are still working. We have a 45 minute writing session dedicated to blogging each week and then the children have the choice to write in their journal or work on their blog during the independent writing block. Some have chosen to blog, while others have chosen to write in their notebook. That is the reason for the difference. Please keep checking and leaving comments as often as you can. It is very motivating.
  • dsc08802We’ve begun work on our zoo. The children are researching both in books and from online resources. We are learning more about online research in both technology class and in the library as well. With Mrs. Wyman’s and Ms. Schmidt’s help we are learning about many different information resources and about ways we can use them to learn more about our animals and their habitats.
  • Fire Chief, Jason LaJoie came to the classroom this week to talk a bit about Fire Safety. He talked about “Stop, Drop and Roll” and what we need to do in cases of emergency. He talked about when to listen to your inner voice and make choices that you know are right. He sent home calendars featuring last year’s Fire Safety contest winners and encouraged children to participate in this year’s calendar project. If your child would like to submit and entry and you need any supplies or further information, please let me know. It would be fun to have some dsc08803North Hampton artwork in the 2017 calendar.

3 thoughts on “Our Week – October 14

1. Thank you so much for these. It is so nice to get them Friday before Samantha gets home from school. Then I know what to ask her about. These are so wonderful. Your blog posts are one of the highlights of my week, now along with Samantha’s blog posts! Thank you again!

• That is just what I hope. Thank you so much for taking the time to let me know they are helpful.
      Enjoy you weekend!

2. Brenda,
    It was fun to start the math games this week.
    Max really loved the pyramid worksheet. If you have more like that, we would love it.
    I poked my head into the art room this week and Mrs. Haight showed me some amazing zoo animals that 3E is working on. Having art integrated into the science curriculum is pretty special.