It’s Wednesday – here are some problems to solve

numbersHere are some basic division problems and some problems that ask you to think about fractions.  Fractions ask you to divide (by the denominator) and then multiply (by the numerator).  Have fun!

Alexis has 110 stickers that she wants to share equally to each of her five friends.  How many stickers will each friend get?

Laird has 72 spinning tops.  He shares them equally among his 5 friends and himself.  How many spinning tops did Laird and his friends get in their share?

Nick has 105 dog houses to build.  He has 5 days to build them.  How many days will it take Nick to build the dog houses if he builds the same amount each day?

The track is 3/5 of a mile long.  If Oliver jogged around the track twice, how far did he run?

Tim orders two pizzas.  They were cut into eighths.  If Tim age 5/8 of a pizza, how many slices were left?

Which apple weights more, one that weights 2/3 of a pound or one that weights 5/6 of a pound? 

3 thoughts on “It’s Wednesday – here are some problems to solve

1. Wow! I have really enjoyed looking at your web pages. How’s the Diary of Broccoli coming along?My brother from CT has just moved in down the street from your school. That’s what led me here. I can’t believe your family is so grown. I had 25 years of fun in third grade. I found 8-9 year olds so alive and well. Looks like you’re enjoying it as much. Norma Metz

• Hi! What a treat to find you here. Thanks for leaving a comment to let us know. This morning is a blogging morning where the children all work on their own posts. Before we go I’ll ask them if I should post our diary thus far. We have five entries done so far with at least 5 more to go to be up to date. We don’t know how long it will take for the broccoli to be food. We’re anxious to find out. Does your brother have school aged children? Is there a chance I’ll be meeting him? Very glad to hear from you. Brenda

2. Each one of alexis’s friends gets 22 stickers. Laird and his friends got 12 spiny toys. Nick built 21 dog houses each day. Oliver ran 1. 2 miles. There were 11 slices left of Tim’s pizza. The apple that weighs 5.6 weighs the most.