It’s Wednesday – here are some problems to solve

numbersHere are some problems to solve:

I had $1.00.  I went to the store to buy 2 pencils.  Each pencil cost 29 cents.  How much did the pencils cost in all?  How much change did I get back?  Show two possible change combinations that I might have received.

Hajna baked 4 trays of muffins.  Each tray held 6 muffins.  She took 15 muffins to school for the bake sale and left the rest at home to share with her family.  How many muffins did Hajna leave at home?

Record a number sequence of at least ten numbers where each number is four more than the previous number.

When you solve a problem leave your answer in a comment.  It would be great if you’d leave a new problem for the rest of us to solve too.

Happy math!

4 thoughts on “It’s Wednesday – here are some problems to solve

1. .29+.29=.58 total, .42 back, added .02 to .58 to get to .60, then added .40 to get to the dollar.
    Change, 2 pennies, 1 quarter, a dime and a nickel
    Change, 42 pennies

• Well done – first I am really glad that you went online to find the math challenge. Second you did a complete job of explaining your math thinking to find the total cost and to calculate the change in two different ways. Will you tell other kids about the math here?