Our Day – Monday, April 6

Good Morning! I hope you had a great weekend!  I was able to visit my mom and dad – from afar- and bring them meals for the week.  They are doing well and dad feels as though he is gaining.  I hope you have positive news to share too.  We’ll meet this morning in Zoom at 10:00.

Morning Work – Let’s start our learning day by completing your weather graph, noting the date and temperature on the section of the graph you color in along with the cloud type you see.  Use the symbols on the cloud finder.

Stop to put your gratefulness rock in your pocket. Think of something new that you are grateful for as your day begins and add it to your Gratitude Jar.  Then check out each others blogs and leave a comment or two.

Keep up with independent reading suggestions by checking out all the comments you’ve each been leaving.  Keep reading each and every day!

Morning Meeting –  This week I have chosen books to remind you of the importance of celebrating yourselves. You are dealing with something no one else has ever done.  You are learning in a whole new way.  You deserve to be proud of yourselves.  You are doing it- we are doing it together.

Let’s start by listening to Calvin Can’t Fly – I love how unique Calvin and how he is connected to weather. 😁 When you finish listening take some time to complete this All About Me page, adapted from a page of The Big Life Journal. Write and draw on it to remind yourself of the things that make you unique and special.  If you’d like, post it on your blog or send a picture when you’ve finished it.

Take a break, get a snack and move around.  Here are two Go Noodle videos: move here with the Ball Is In Your Court and relax here with Victorious.

I suspect this is where our Zoom meeting will fit into Our Day.

Our last two chapter read-alouds were mysteries: The Mystery at Pine Lake and Winterhouse.

Let’s start a genre study about mysteries.

Shared Reading –  Instead of poems, let’s start this genre study with some riddles.  Just like mysteries, you have to solve riddles by thinking about what you know in new ways.

Riddle # 1 What’s bright orange with green on top and sounds like a parrot?

Riddle #2 There’s a one-story house where everything is yellow.  The walls are yellow. The doors are yellow.  Even all the furniture is yellow.  The house has yellow beds and yellow couches.  What color are the stairs?

Riddle #3 What’s really easy to get into, and hard to get out of?

If you’ve got the answer, leave it in a comment.

What makes a mystery and mystery?  Here is a Detective’s Dictionary to help answer that question.  Open it up and read the 11 words and their mystery definitions.  Did you learn any new words and phrases?

Here’s a our first mystery The High Rise Private Eyes Case #001 The Case of the Missing Monkey.   When you finish listening, we’ll use Ingredients of a mystery to name what we discovered.  Try to do it on your own before you check what I discovered here at 001 The Case of the Missing Monkey . Tomorrow I’ll ask you to try completing the form on you own.

Take a break, go outside, run around, sing,  play a game, make some art.

Independent ReadingFind a nice quiet place to read and enjoy at least 30 minutes with a great book.  If you’re wishing for some new book/reading options you can find some fabulous picture book recordings at Storyline Online and recorded books here at Audible. The Elementary selections look great.  Enjoy!

At the end of reading today, choose two or three things from the Book Talk Questions grid when you leave a comment about what you read today on the blog.

Go outside, have some lunch, play a game, practice your recorder.  Relax.

Writer’s Workshop  –  Today we’ll continue writing about weather.  Here’s a review of the steps we’ve taken so far if you want to check back on our writing process.

We began with a lead on April 1.

Then we used our concept map to make a plan on April 2 and we learned about topic sentences and paragraphing.  You wrote about your first subtopic.

When you’re ready to write today go to all posts on your blog and open your weather draft.  Read your feedback and make revisions to your lead or paragraph.  Delete the feedback and add the next new paragraph(s) about that one subtopic.  Remember to use your elaboration strategies.  When you have finished writing about that subtopic  STOP and save your draft.  Don’t submit it.  You’ll be adding more the next time you write.

(If you have bits and pieces of your travel journal to finish up, do them when you have time.)

Inquiry Workshop – Social Studies  –  Let’s work on our souvenirs this week.  You might be able to find your souvenir planner in your blue folder.  Complete your planner – think about supplies you have on hand, talk to your family and then begin creating.  We’ll try to work on one each day this week.  The plan will be to submit a photograph of your completed souvenirs on Monday, April 13.

Math – We’ll keep practicing solving multiplication and division problems.  Some of the problems on the worksheet today use letters to represent the unknown.  For example: 12÷6 = b. The answer would be written b = 2.

Make sure you’ve got whatever you use for manipulatives (pennies, legos, beads…) near by so you can check your thinking if needed as you solve the problems on today’s warm up pages: More Story Problems 1 and  More Story Problems 2 

Next, here are today’s problems to choose from.  See if there are two that feel like just right challenges.   You can solve them in your journal or on a piece of paper.  It would be most helpful to put the color and the date the problem was posted.  Thanks!

Anna had a collection of stones.  She had 1,473 stones that had quartz crystals in them.  She had 856 that had feldspar in them.  How my stones did she have altogether?

Anna friends gave her 247 stones made of agate.  How many stones did she have then?

Van had a collection of 12,000 Legos before he began building robots out of them.

He used 2,485 bricks to make the first robot, 3,067 bricks to make the second robot and 918 bricks to make the last robot.

How many Lego bricks did he use in all to make the three robots?

How many Lego bricks did he have left to use for other projects?

Piper organized her craft supplies.

She sorted and counted 1,327 beads, 2,684 stickers and 857 feathers.

How many supplies did Piper organize altogether?

She used half of them to decorate family gifts.  How many craft supplies did she have left?

Justin was sorting his Legos by color.

He had three baskets.

He put red and blue in one basket.

He put yellow and white in one basket

He put black in the last basket.

Each basket held 134 Legos of each color.

How many Legos were in each basket?

How many Legos did Justin have altogether?

Elena went to a farm.  She saw three pigs, three cows and fifteen chickens.

How many animal legs did she see altogether on the farm?

How many animal eyes did she see altogether on the farm?

Max was in charge of organizing snacks for himself and his 2 brothers.  He made bags of trail mix.

When Max was done each of them had 15 raisins, 7 M&M’s, 5 pretzels and 14 Cheerios and 10 almonds in his bag of trail mix.

How many raisins did Max start with?

How many M&M’s did Max start with?

How many pretzels did Max start with?

How many Cheerios did Max start with?

How many almonds did Max start with?

If you’ve worked through that, it’s definitely time for a game here at ABCya. If you want to try Prodigy talk to your parents.  Did anyone else find another game to recommend?  Leave the name in a comment so we can all have fun.  Did anyone else find another game you like.  Leave the name in a comment so we can all have fun.

UA’s for today…

Art Click on new lessons and scroll down to find what Mrs. Nardone has for you to explore in Art today.  If you explore the art gallery you’ll see new artwork this week from Brady and Anna.  Technology.  You’ll find the lessons Mrs. Herlihy left here at this link open the lesson that is next for you.

I hope you had a marvelous Monday.  I’ll be looking for your work.  I am so glad to meet with you.  Comment and post often – it keeps us connected!

🌈☀️🍃💕Mrs. Eaves

36 thoughts on “Our Day – Monday, April 6

1. I think the riddles are pretty easy ( i was joking on the third.)

#1 a carrot
    #2 there is no stairs
    #3 … A cOnvErSaTiOn

[ obviously i was joking on the last one 🤣 ]

2. Also- I finished the book “ Pie In The Sky.” It’s a family of three that move to Australia. The main characters are Jingwen and Yanghao. Jingwen is 11 and Yanghao is 9. On Jingwen’s 10th birthday. His dad was on his way to get a birthday cake. But the car crashed and the dad died. Now there is just mama, Jingwen and Yanghao. He feels like he is on mars and everyone speaks Martian.
    Jingwen’s ah-po and ah-gong ( grandma and grandpa ) and papa, owned an cake shop named “Pie In The Sky.” So their mama left for work. While they were in school, but until 4 am in the morning. Jingwen and Yanghao want to make all 12 cakes that were in pie in the sky shop. They bought ingredients For the first cake. They made a rule book. They had to eat the WHOLE cake 🍰 before mama comes home at 4 am. Do you think they can do it?

• Piper,
      Thanks for sharing your reading. What an amazing summary of the story and a great teaser at the end of your response. Who in our class do you recommend this book to? Do you think May or Holden would also like it?
      📖Mrs. Eaves

3. I read Next Best Junior Chef. I think that Piper would like this book and I think Kathrine would too. My fave character is Tate.

4. I think the first answer is a carrot because if you change p to c then it spells the answer!

The second answer is there are no stairs in a one- story house!

Trouble or a good friendship! 🙂

• Hi Edward,
      We can do something about that. I did post a weather essay you wrote in March. It didn’t fit with the directions so I thought since you’d asked me to post it, I should. Do you want me to copy and paste it into a new post and save it as a draft so you can revise according to the directions and then move forward from there? I’d be happy to to do that, if you’d like.
      Let me know,
      🌩 Mrs. Eaves 🙃

• Can you show me your souvenir planner so I can give some suggestions. Seem like you’re feeling discouraged. Sorry about that. We can deal with this too!
      🇷🇺 Mrs. Eaves

• Hi Edward,
      Between 3 and 5. That’s why the dotted line is after the 3rd on your planning sheet.
      Mrs. Eaves

5. I read baby sitters club and Kristys little brother is scared and every buddy in the baby sitters club does not know how Kristy is going to still be abel to be in the in the meetings.

6. Today I read to James. I brought both the Og the Frog books back from the library and he really likes them! Og went to Mr. Morales house, and Humphrey got accused of getting Mandy’s family sick so he had a vet appointment and nothing was wrong with him so he is at Mrs. Brisbane’s house. Mr and Mrs Morales are busy tomorrow and the kids always fight so Og has to keep them in line. The kids are building Og a castle! I also did Storyline Online. I read Bad Case Of The Strips. It was about a girl and all she wanted to do was fit in. Everything everyone said happend’s on her body. Finally after all the doctors and pills, someone found a cure and it was the thing she loved most but everyone hatted, lima beans. So obveosly she pretended she didn’t like them. She tried them and she was cured!

Hope to see you soon! -Sophie

• Hi Sophie,
      Thanks for sharing what you read. I like how Og is helpful in his own way, just like Humphrey is in his stories. It is fun to get to know Og and his calming mantra.
      A Bad Case of Stripes could be a story that helps us celebrate what makes us special. It can be hard to say you like something when everyone else is saying it’s disgusting. I think the illustrations of the book (while being a little creepy) really remind us to be true to ourselves.
      I hope to see you sooner than soon too!
      💕Mrs. Eaves

7. I read chapter 2 & 3 of “Kid Normal” today. The setting of the story is at the school. My favorite part so far is when Mary comes out the sky. It just seemed crazy.
    Max

• Hi Max,
      I would agree, coming out of the sky does seem crazy. How did it happen?
      I’m so glad you found a book you really like.
      📖Mrs. Eaves

8. I read Charlie Brown all Tied Up and my favorite part is when Charlie Brown buys a kite, because after he buys the kite he finds the tree which he calls the Rotten Kite Eating Tree and it slurped up his kite before he even opened it. I learned the word Tenure and it means that you’re guaranteed not to lose your job.

• Thanks for sharing what you are reading. Charlie Brown is very silly. Your description of the tree taking his kite before he even tries to fly it makes me imagine him saying something like, “typical” or “why me?” Poor Charlie Brown.
      Tenure is a great word to notice.
      📖Mrs. Eaves

• These are some great ideas.
      Love the 3rd answer. A book is true – I didn’t think of that!
      🔍Mrs Eaves