Our Day – Monday – March 30 – Day 9

Good Morning!  I hope you had a relaxing weekend!

We’ll hold a Zoom Meeting at 10:00.  Bring your gratitude rock and be ready to share one thing you’re grateful for. Hopefully you’ll each be able to share and we’ll be ready to listen to each other.

Morning Work – Start off your learning day by completing your weather graph, noting the temperature on the section of the graph you color in and the type of cloud you see.  Use the symbols on the cloud finder.

Stop to look at  your gratitude  rock or put in your pocket   Think of a couple new things you are grateful for as your day begins.  Then check out each others blogs and leave a comment or two.

Keep up with independent reading suggestions by checking out the comments you’ve all been leaving.

Morning Meeting – Let’s be grateful – when we give our attention to the people, places and things we are thankful for, it can help us find greater happiness.

This book is a beautiful reminder of all the incredible opportunities there are for us in the world.

This first link is a reading of All the World.  This second link focuses closely on the illustrations.  I think it is beautifully arranged. It helped me notice the details I hadn’t seen before.  Enjoy if you feel you have the time!

I found this  Gratitude Scavenger Hunt on simpleacresblog.  Go on a hunt sometime today and create a post sharing what you discovered and collected.

Take a break, get a snack and move around.  If you’d like, here are two  Go Noodle videos here , Repeat the Beat and here Weather the Storm mindfully.

My guess is this is about the time we’ll be meeting on Zoom.

Reading, Writing, Science and Art

Shared Reading – Today we’ll be working to summarize what we’ve learned about predicting the weather, reading clouds and staying safe in extreme weather.

Let’s start with a new poem –

Four Seasons ~ anonymous.                            

Spring is showery, flowery, bowery.

Summer: hoppy, croppy, poppy.

Autumn:  wheezy, sneezy, freezy.

Winter: slippy, drippy, nippy.

To review all the different types of extreme weather listen to Super Storms by Seymour Simon. Take some time today to begin creating a concept map about storms. Here is a link:  concept map. Try to make it as detailed as you can. That will mean adding more circles. You may want to draw your own on a larger piece of paper.  Here is one I started as an example.  It may give you an idea of how to begin.

Go back to the pieces you wrote about each different kind of weather to remind yourself of the facts.  You can read other kids’ post or reread the resources shared throughout last week if you need to remember more facts.  I think this project will take you a while to do. Do some today and some tomorrow.  We’ll be using it to write from on Wednesday. When you’re finished take a picture of it post it on your blog or send it in an email.

Take a break, go outside and run around, sing, build, play a game, make some art.

ReadingFind a nice quiet place to read and enjoy at least 30 minutes with a great book.  If you’re wishing for some new book/reading options you can find some fabulous picture book recordings at Storyline Online and recorded books here at Audible. The Elementary selections look great.  Enjoy!

At the end of reading today, choose two or three things from the Book Talk Questions grid when you leave a comment about what you read today on the blog.

Go outside, have some lunch, play a game, practice your recorder.  Relax.

Inquiry Workshop – Social Studies  –  Our goal is to have the travel journal (magazine) pages completed by the end of March – that’s Tuesday. So far 5 students have completed their travel journals. How are you doing on your writing, covers, table of contents and glossaries?

Math – On Friday five classmates wrote math problems for you to solve: Vera, May, Anna, Katherine and Landon.  To start our math warm up, take time to open at least two of these blog posts and solve their problems.  Let them know what you’ve done in a comment.  I was hoping we’d be able to draw sticks this time.  We’ll give it a try another time when more classmates have a chance to complete the assignment.  😃✏️🔢

For the second part of the Math Warm-Up try this worksheet.Fact Families and Missing Numbers 3.30

At the bottom of the worksheet you’ll see three equations with parenthesis in them.  Parenthesis = ( ).  Let’s talk about what they mean in a math problem.  When you see (3+2) x 5 =□  Do you know what to do?  The rule in mathematics is to alway perform the operation inside the parenthesis first and then perform the second operation.  So this equation becomes 5×5 =□ and we can solve that:  5×5=25.  Here’s another example: 135 – (5×9) = □.  That becomes 135 -45 = □.  135-45 =90.  Now give those last three problems a try.

It does seem as though more of you are feeling comfortable with division.  Vera, Katherine and May showed us their division process with photographs and videos.  Lots of you have solved the division equations on the worksheets last week. We’ll keep practicing until division feels more comfortable to everyone.

Next, here are today’s problems to choose from.  See if there are two that feel like just right challenges.   You can solve them in your journal or on a piece of paper.  It would be most helpful to put the color and the date the problem was posted.  Thanks!

Elena has 21,850 crayons.  Sophie has 17,039 crayons.

How many more crayons does Elena have than Sophie?

Landon has 2,258 more crayons than Sophie has.  How many crayons does Landon have?

If Elena, Sophie and Landon put their crayons altogether, how many crayons will that be?

Holden has 10,000 balloons.  2,626 of the balloon are blue.  4,486 are red.  2,029 are yellow.  The rest of the balloons are different shades of green.

How many of the balloons are green?

275 of the green balloons are star shaped.  The rest are round.  How many round, green balloons does Holden have?

Vera baked 128 muffins.

Edward baked 11 times as many.  How many muffins did Edward bake?

Vera baked some corn muffins and some chocolate-chip muffins. If 59 if the muffins were corn muffins, how many of them were chocolate chip?

Edward baked some blueberry muffins and some apple muffins.  If 826 of the muffins were blueberry, how many of them were apple?

Brady had 2,080 Legos.

He built a castle.  He used 762 of the Legos in the castle. 

How many Legos did Brady have have left for another project?

May had 2,056 markers.  She threw away 268 because they had dried up.

How many markers did she have left?

Round your answer to the nearest 10. 

Round your answer to the nearest 100.

Estella was building a fort.  The floor of was a rectangle that measured 6 feet by 4 feet.  She wanted to get tiles to put on the floor.  The tiles were 1 foot by 1 foot. 

How many tiles would Estella need to cover the floor of her fort?

If each tile cost $1.25, how much money did Estella spend to buy the tiles?

If you’ve worked through that, it’s definitely time for a game here at ABCya.  Brady and I especially like Math Bingo. Landon recommended Basketball Math Facts.  Edward recommends Number Ninja.  Holden recommended a different game site, Prodigy.  If you want to try Prodigy talk to your parents.  Did anyone else find another game to recommend?  Leave the name in a comment so we can all have fun.

UA’s for today…

Art Click on new lessons and scroll down to find what Mrs. Nardone has for you to explore in Art today.  If you explore the art gallery you’ll see new artwork this week from Brady, Anna, Piper, Landon and May.  Technology.  You’ll find the lessons Mrs. Herlihy left here at this link open the lesson that is next for you.

I hope you had a fabulous Monday.  I’ll be looking for your work.  I am so glad to meet with you.  Comment and post often – it keeps us connected!

🙌🏼🎉💕Mrs. Eaves

34 thoughts on “Our Day – Monday – March 30 – Day 9

1. Book- “When The Dragon Moves In”
    What was the conflict: The dragon was stealing food from the Dad.
    How was the conflict solved: The dragon got kicked out until he had manners.
    Max

• Hi Max,
      It was great to see you this morning. Thanks for sharing your reading.
      This sounds like a great book. How long did it take before the dragon learned the importance of manners?
      You’re wonderful!
      📖Mrs. Eaves

• Yes. Can you see on the concept map that I started I added details to Blizzard. I filled in the two circles on the paper and added another circle so I could even write more. If you can’t read it well enough, I’ll go into the post when I finish this and make it larger.
      Thanks for all your hard work.
      You’re wonderful!
      👊🏻 Mrs. Eaves

• I know! Isn’t that crazy! Time flies!
      I hope you’re having a good day!
      Thanks for sharing your new belt today.
      You deserve to be very proud of your dedication and effort.
      You’re wonderful!
      🥋Mrs. Eaves

• Yes, I do. I guess Justin and I are a little ahead of ourselves. You’ll be glad to know I am creating Our Day – March 31 right now.

Or I guess I could have answered, “April Fools – early!”

• Yes, it is a way to organize the facts you remember. If you’ve forgotten something – like this morning I could remember that a blizzard is defined by three things, but I could only remember 2 of them – you can go back and look. We will use these notes for a guided writing exercise on Wednesday.

2. I read The Sisters 8 by Lauren Baratz-Logsted with Greg Logsted & Jackie Logsted. The book is about the 8 sisters. My connection with this book is that I feel like a leader. The story starts with them finding out that there parents disappeared.

• Hi Estella,
      That is a super important connection. Being a leader is a fabulous life skill.
      Thanks for sharing your reading!
      You’re wonderful
      📖Mrs. Eaves

3. I am still reading Wonder. Describe the main characters: Auggie is nice and is caring. Jack Will is Honest and is an up stander he hangs out with Auggie even though he has facial differences. 6 people are telling the story in different perspectives There is Auggie, Via, Jack will, Summer, Julian, Miranda. My favorite part is when the dad tells Auggie that he had a teacher named Mrs. Butt.

• Hi Landon,
      That is a funny part indeed!
      I’m glad you are reading this book. It is a remarkable story!
      Thanks for sharing your reading.
      📖 You’re wonderful!
      Mrs. Eaves

4. Junie B. Jones Dome Bunny by Barbara park.
    In the book so far Lucille sent Egg-hunt invitation to the class.
    And Junie thinks that Sheldon has a crush on Lucille.

Elena!

• This is the perfect Junie B. Jones to be reading at this time of year.
      Do you think Sheldon has a crush on Lucille? Is Junie right? How do you think she’ll cause “trouble” in this book?
      Thanks for sharing your reading!
      You’re wonderful!
      📖Mrs. Eaves

5. I am reading Harry Potter and the Goblet Of Fire. I am on Chapter 4. 4 more pages till five. The Weaslys just came threw the Durslys fire place and got stuck in the chimney and when they finally got out they made a huge mess. I predict that Mr. Weasly is going to pick everything up yousing magic!

• Hi Sophie,
      Thanks for sharing your reading.
      Your description and prediction helped me remember that part of the story again.
      I like it!
      📖Mrs. Eaves

6. I have done everything for my magazine exept the cover. I can’t remember when but me and my Mom made the index.

• Wow.
      That’s another nonfiction feature to add to you list of what you know how to use when reading and create when writing!
      Well done!
      🙌🏼 Mrs. Eaves

7. I read the Berenstain Bears The Bad Habit by Stan And Jan Berenstain. Do you have any bad habits??? Sister Bear can’t stop biting her nails. I have a bad habit of putting my necklace in my mouth.

• Thanks for sharing your reading May. That’s a good one and sadly, yes I do have bad habits. I procrastinate – especially if I don’t think I’ll be very good at it. I avoid things I am afraid I won’t know how to do and I read when I should be doing my chores. I’m sure there are more if you ask my family. Please don’t – 🤪
      You’re wonderful!
      👊🏻 Mrs. Eaves

• Hi Vera,
      If you hit the link in the math section of today’s post and click on the Prodigy live link it will take you to a sign in page. I sent your mom your user name and password. Ask her for them and sign in. Once there the game will prompt you and help you begin playing.
      If you play, let us know what you think
      You’re wonderful!
      👊🏻Mrs. Eaves

8. I read The Trouble With Chickens and I learned the word rendezvous, and I think it means a meeting planned by someone. It begins with a Chicken Mom who is missing 2 chicks and a dog named J.J. helps her. In the end they find them in the house get Vince the Funnel in a cage.

• Hi Anna,
      Thanks for sharing your reading. I think the characters in this series are fun. The author has really given each one of them individual personalities – and unusual names.
      Who is your favorite character? I wonder if your choice will be different when you finish the book. (Maybe you did already finish it – if so, maybe you could stop some place between chapters 4 and 6 and jot down who your favorite character is and why.). It will be fun to see if and how your choice changes when you are at the end of the book.
      You’re wonderful!
      👊🏻 Mrs. Eaves

• Hi Anna,
      Did you like it? Would you recommend it to others? Are the choices you would suggest?
      let us know.
      Thanks for sharing.
      You are wonderful!
      👊🏻Mrs. Eaves