Friday Fun – a bit rainy right now so that means it’s a great day for making!

This summer I’ve been s searching for some interesting sites to learn new things from.  Some are for reading and some are for making.  Here are a few of my recent favorites. I think you would really like them too.

baby elephant born in the Netherlands  The first one is Zooborns – you guessed it, that’s what it’s about.  The site showcases all different types of animals born in zoos.  It show pictures and tells how the animals are cared for and important things the babies do.  Yesterday’s post was about a new baby elephant born at the Emmen Zoo in the Netherlands.  The baby weighed 220lbs when it was born.

pluto_moon

Another site I think you’d like is a current events magazine.  It’s called Youngzine and its subtitle says “news and more for the young.”  It has a lot of interesting pieces of news.  Of course this issue has a story about the new Prince George, but there is also new about animals and science.  One article tells about the two new moons that have recently been identified orbiting Pluto.

squishycircuits_003-580x375.jpgThe last site I have to share with you is Sylvia’s Super Awesome Maker Show!  Sylvia Todd is 11 and she shares some amazing things.  I like clicking on the Episode tab so I could watch her how-to videos.  She an incredible maker!   So far my favorite is “Squishy Circuits” episode, but I haven’t watched them all.  She teaches you how to do some pretty amazing things.

Have fun on this rainy Friday.  If you check out any of the sites, let me know what you think.  If you have other suggestions leave them in a comment so everyone can explore. Enjoy!

(I took the pictures shown here from the sites mentioned in the links.)

ps – I got the other five Captain Awesome books.  I’ll let you know my favorite on Monday.  Have a great weekend!

10 thoughts on “Friday Fun – a bit rainy right now so that means it’s a great day for making!

• We are having fun – but I miss lots of the things our class did together. Things we did like Discovery Time, Artist-Writers’ Workshop, book clubs, animation projects that I’ve not been able to do with other classes since.

We have 13 kids. How about you?
      What are you reading now. I just finished the The Silver Door – the second in a trilogy. The Gold Door is a Stone Face choice and that is what got me into the books. The characters are strong and likable – there is some fantasy parts that are hard for me to imagine for me, but I really like the main characters and am sorry that they are suffering. I fully believe they will be okay in the final book (boy, will I be upset if that’s not so!) that comes out in two weeks. I’m telling you this because I think you would like the characters and much of the story. They’re sitting in my classroom if you think you’d like to check them out. Can’t wait to know what you are into reading now.